Saturday, January 7, 2017

Straightedges -- Sometimes Tools Are Where You Find Them


I came up with two very nice straightedges recently, from an unlikely source. Here's a view of them.


And here's a close-up view of an end, to give you an idea of the cross-section.


The cross-section is about 5/8" x 1 3/16". Each straightedge is over 24" long. Where did I get them? As I said, from an unlikely source.

- - -

Last year, we had some new windows installed in our home. When the new windows went into the two upstairs rear bedrooms, the old window blinds were rendered unuseable -- narrower blinds were in order, and cutting down the width of the old blinds didn't look practicable.

I thought I'd see what I could salvage from one bedroom's pleated blind. Pictured above are the top and bottom extruded rails of the blind. It turned out that they're about the straightest things on earth. So, I got myself two very nice straightedges for the price of a now-worthless window blind. I'm glad I didn't just toss the thing before looking into it.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment