Sunday, June 30, 2013

Dremel Cut-Off Wheels


I make frequent use of these things, so I thought they should get a post of their own that I can link to whenever their use crops up, and I need to explain it further. Here's the line-up of Dremel cut-off wheel products that I'm familiar with.


The large, reinforced No. 426 wheels are 1 1/4" diameter x 1.1mm thick. They're remarkably tough and long-lasting; they're a formidable cutting tool. They're my 'go to' abrasive cutter for most tasks.

The smaller, thinner, un-reinforced wheels, No.'s 420 and 409, have their uses as well, but they're fragile -- a steady hand is called for.

- - -

So what do I use them for? All manner of things. Here's one small example.

I currently need a 3/32" diameter pin to secure the handle of a pin vise to its spindle. I have a broken 3/32" twist drill whose shank will provide me a fine pin, but I'll have to cut the shank to approximate length, before grinding it down to exact length. An abrasive cut-off wheel is about the only thing that will do what's needed, like so.


Rough though that may be, I've got my pin cut to approximate length. I know of no other tool that would do that for me so easily on steel that hard.

- - -

Safety

Eye protection is mandatory. The small wheels are prone to shatter if they're twisted at all while running -- pieces of them can be forcefully thrown off.

- - -

So there's my brief overview of Dremel cut-off wheels. You'll never regret having acquired a supply of them.

# # #


# # #