Saturday, May 19, 2012

PPAt -- The Portable Personal Ashtray

Meet PPAt -- the Portable Personal Ashtray. Here's PPAt open for business.


And here's PPAt closed for carrying.


That truss head 8-32 screw has a nylock self-locking nut on it, so I can tension the shutter's closure swing-action.

Where I work, my ashtray was a five gallon empty steel paint pail with a lid with a small hole in it by the outside door where my smoking lounge is. The other morning, the lid was gone. Some bozo must have been 'shopping' for a pail lid, and liked the price of that one. Since the aesthetics of a wide open five gallon ashtray leave a bit to be desired, I decided to functionally replace the pail with this item.

The tin is the small (32g) size of shoe polish tin. It fits nicely in a vest pocket. The hole in the lid ought to be a little bigger, but I only have two sizes of chassis punch, 1/2" and 1", and 1" was way too big.

Anyway, this'll work. Come Tuesday, the pail gets consigned to the big green bin out back.

- - -

Update -- TUESDAY, JUNE 19, 2012

The 1/2" diameter hole size has proven not to be a detriment at all. The ashtray does its job beautifully.


# # #


# # #