Saturday, May 26, 2012

Paving Stone Retention Strip

I'm not a stonemason, and I didn't know this stuff existed.


Pictured is the foot of a newly repaved ramp that leads away from my workshop's door. ['Sorry for the poorly lit photo. Sunlight can make for wicked shadowing effects.] The mason left that gap for drainage -- I just have to add some spikes to the retention strip, and fill in the gap with clear gravel.[1] (The mason ran out of spikes; I found I had a few suitable ten-inch ones on hand.)

At first glance, I thought that retention strip was made of iron, but it's a black plastic material. The barrier edge is 1 5/8" tall; the anchoring tabs extend 2 7/16".

Neat stuff.

- - -

SUNDAY, MAY 27, 2012

Update

We got something called 'river stone' for filler. It's all rounded, eroded stones rather than pointy-cornered, angular gravel bits. We got the 3/4" size of stone. Here's a view of the gap filled with 3/4" river stone.



- - - 

Note:

[1] 'Clear gravel' is gravel that's free of sand or tiny pieces of rock -- it's just chunks of gravel of a certain size. It seems that the sizes available are 1/2" and 3/4".

# # #


# # #