Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Parquet Flooring

The title of this post is a bit of a fraud, really. I installed a birch parquet floor once the old-fashioned way -- glue, big drum sander rental, the whole nine yards. I was quite pleased with the outcome, but I've never felt an urge to do another one. I won't be detailing the procedure here.

The point of this post is that I was left with almost an entire ten square foot bundle of the flooring material when I got done, and it turns out that the little parquet bits are incredibly useful in the workshop.

The individual pieces that are factory-assembled into a parquet pattern on a perforated paper backing are each 4 3/4" long, just under 1" wide and just over 5/16" thick. I always have a few of them nearby, and I reach for them often for all sorts of things; as clamp pads, as small cutting boards, as sanding blocks, as backing for a drilled hole to prevent splintering, etc., etc. Here's a view of the material.



One of those serendipitous things that I would never have thought of were it not for the leftover flooring being right at hand.

# # #

FEEDBACK

# # #