Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Bicycle Fender Stay Retaining Post Repair


The M5 stud on this retaining post from my wife's bike stripped on me this afternoon.


I'll have to replace that threaded stud portion of the post. I don't have the full set of M5 taps -- taper, plug and bottoming -- that I'd like to have for this, but I do have a full set of 10-32 taps. 10-32 is as close to M5 as 'damn' is to swearing, so I'll go that route.

First off, I'll cut away the M5 stud, and drill the post for 10-32 tapping. (No. 21.) Then I'll tap it 10-32.

- - -

Here's a view of that done.


I'll cut that stud next to the post down to the correct length, and install it with CA adhesive.

- - -

And here's the finished post all wire-brushed and fit for installation.


- - -

Addendum -- SUNDAY, MAY 25, 2014

It was brought to my attention that I've neglected to show where this part goes. Here's a contextual view of the part doing its job.


# # #


# # #