Sunday, March 31, 2013

A Weed Digger Restoration


This old weed digger spent the winter outside, and it's looking the worse for it.



The shank and ferrule are rusty, and the handle's paint is peeling in spots -- shameful. I'll have to set this right.

- - -

My wire wheel machine took care of the rust in fairly short order. I've sanded the handle. (By rights, I ought to strip the old paint off entirely, but I'll just repaint over the old paint and hope for the best.)

There are a few little details about the ferrule that could stand attention. One is this needless void at the shank end of the ferrule.



I'll fill that with five-minute epoxy and create a sealed fillet that won't admit water.

And here we are.



Much better.

There's a deep dimple in the side of the ferrule.



I imagine that was done for retention of the ferrule, but it's beyond being just a dimple -- it's a puncture. I'll fill that with with five-minute epoxy to seal and level it. I'll apply CA adhesive around the ferrule/handle interface to seal that.

- - -

Here's the dimple filled and ready for painting.



What I did there was I overfilled the dimple with epoxy. Once it hardened, it was easy to file and sand it level. Epoxy is a superb filler -- that's mostly what I use it for.

Now I can mask the handle, and paint the ferrule and shank gloss black. Once that paint has thoroughly hardened, I'll mask the ferrule and repaint the handle yellow.

- - -

All Done -- SUNDAY, APRIL 21, 2013

Here it is fully painted.



Much better.

# # #


# # #