Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Magnifier Lamp Lens Replacement

And, "Why would a magnifier lamp's lens need to be replaced?", you may be wondering. Well, there's an easy way to ruin one, as I discovered some time ago.

I was modifying an 11/16" socket wrench to make a special spanner for removing the freewheel from a Raleigh bicycle's rear wheel, like so.

Getting the final touches done to those two lugs with a hand grinder was a delicate bit of business. I got the bright idea to employ my magnifier lamp as both a magnifier and as eye protection while I finished up the spanner. That worked out well enough that I got my spanner made, but the particles that flew from the grinding work had a rather ill effect on the under surface of the lamp's lens, like so.[1]



I lived with that spoiled lens for quite a long time before I finally got fed up with it and decided to pursue getting a replacement. I emailed Busy Bee Tools and asked if they had replacement lenses for their model B886 lamp. They replied that they didn't, but they could ask the manufacturer if lenses could be had and for what price. It was early in February of this year that I got that ball rolling. It took quite awhile for the exercise to bear fruit, but Busy Bee did come through for me.

They now carry replacement 5" magnifier lamp lenses for $9.99 each. The P/N is P886L. They graciously absorbed the shipping charges since I'd had to wait so long for it; I just received it earlier this week.

Anyway, replacing the lens is a breeze, really. Take out the fluorescent tube and there are three screws securing both the tube clips and the lens retainers, like so.

A few minutes' work, and I finally have a nice clear view through my magnifier again.



Those who know me know that I'm no fan of the business world, but I must give credit where it's due here. Busy Bee followed through on my request for a lens in exemplary fashion. It's much appreciated.

- - -

Note:

[1] The term 'coated optics' springs to mind here. The lens is glass and seems to be glass-hard, but the grinding fallout wrought irreparable damage to the lens' surface; I never expected that to happen. Anyway, the lesson is, "Don't use your magnifier as eye protection for grinding work."

# # #


# # #