Friday, November 30, 2018

A Razor Scooter Roadside Find


Someone abandoned this Razor scooter today by the roadside in front of my home.


People do the oddest things. The scooter appears to be complete and in reasonably good condition. A label on the underside of the deck says, "DATE OF MANUFACTURE: 01/10/2012".

I'll check out all of its bearings and clean it up. 'Should be able to get something for it on Kijiji.

- - -

Inoperative 'Fold' Feature

The fold feature was frozen from disuse. Removing two black plastic side covers from the scooter's neck with a 2.5mm hex key and some judicious prying gives access to the fold detent pawls. Some WD-40 got the pawls freed up so I could fold the scooter.




However, the fold detent release action is still balky. I'll add some grease to the detent ways at final reassembly.

- - -

Loose Headset

There's slop in the headset bearings


To correct that, I'll need a 36mm spanner. So, it's off to the bike shops in Pickering tomorrow to see if they have one.

- - -

Front Wheel

With two 5mm hex keys, the axle can be unscrewed to release the wheel.


The axle was assembled with blue threadlocker, so it took some effort to unscrew it.

The bearings feel ok. I'll scrape the grime off them and see if I can ID them.

- - -

The bearings are ABEC-5, No. 608ZZ. 'ABEC-5' is a tolerance rating. P/N 608ZZ is a bearing with an 8mm bore, 22mm O.D. and 7mm width, shielded both sides. They're widely used in skateboards, inline skates and scooters.

- - -

Rear Wheel

The rear wheel is identical to the front, but its bearings are noisy; they'll have to be replaced. I've ordered replacements from Amazon.

- - -

36mm Spanner Update -- SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2018

My trip to Pickering was fruitless. 36mm spanners appear to be as common as hens' teeth; neither of the two bike shops there had one. I could get one from Amazon for about $35.00 CDN, but I neither want to spend that much nor wait for it to arrive, so I'll see if I can weld up a crude facsimile of a spanner that will at least do the job for me. I have some steel flat material on hand that should serve.

Here's a close-up view of what I'm up against with the headset nuts.


An adjustable wrench can be used on the upper jam nut, but the thin cone nut underneath calls for a suitable spanner. Anyway, here goes with fabricating a spanner.

- - -

Possibly The Worst, Ugliest, Nastiest Welding Job Ever Done By Anyone, Ever

Here's my welded up 36mm spanner. The spanner is about 12" long overall.


As you can see, I'm no welder. I have next to no experience with my little Princess Auto, flux-core wire-feed unit, and it shows.

Now we'll see if my creation will at least do the job of a spanner for me.

- - -

Headset's Apart


My spanner has worked so far. Now I can clean all the headset components, pack the bearings with fresh grease and reassemble and adjust the headset.

- - -

It worked. The headset is back together, tightened and adjusted for zero preload. Here's a view of my spanner on the job.


So the scooter is done for now. It can go in the shed until the new wheel bearings arrive from Amazon.

- - -

Wheel Bearings Arrived -- TUESDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2018


They were a day late, but they did get here -- a package of sixteen ABEC-9, 608RS bearings for $14.99 CDN + shipping.

- - -

New Wheel Bearings Installed -- WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2018

The bearings are a light press fit in their hubs, so it's easy to knock out the old ones with a suitable punch. Thumb force is adequate to press the new bearings into place. There's a 10.5mm long spacer inside the hub that resides between the two bearings.


Reassemble the axles with blue threadlocker and you're good to go. Wheel rotation with new bearings is positively silky and noiseless.

# # #


# # #



No comments:

Post a Comment