Wednesday, October 26, 2016

A Toy Dump Truck


I'm on a roll here with the toy making. 'Latest is a dump truck.




It's small -- only about seven inches in overall length; a proper sandbox toy ought to be at least twice that size. But it was an interesting, challenging project, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Two aspects of it are noteworthy:
  • I again used my method for making stub axles, and I expect to be using that method routinely on future toy vehicles.
  • The original plan for the truck that I had obtained from the internet had no provision for latching the truck's tailgate shut. That struck me as a flaw -- cargo would tend to push open the tailgate and spill while in transport. I came up with a latch using a plastic turn button and a notched cross-bar, like so.


I think that makes the toy more useable and engaging.

* * *

A Refinement -- TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2016

Something I neglected to show in the above photos is the front bumper. Truth be told, I made a bit of a botch of that. Here's a front-on view of the bumper.


There's some nasty tear-out, and the vertical registration of the two headlights doesn't match up well.

So, I made a replacement bumper with better headlights, like so.


Now I have to chisel off the old bumper, and glue the replacement bumper on in its place.

- - -

That turned out reasonably well.



# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment