Saturday, May 2, 2015

A Wheelbarrow Restoration


My next door neighbour has a decrepit old wheelbarrow languishing down by her shed. It's in rough shape.


She's graciously let me have the wheelbarrow for a restoration project. Here's a view of it upright at my place.


The wooden parts will have to be remade -- they're beyond salvage. The tub and the other steel parts are in reasonably good condition. The tire is a write-off; I know that because I've tried to repair it before, and it's a cracked ruin that will never hold air again. I happen to have a complete replacement wheel/tire on hand, so that's taken care of.

The first order of business will be to dismantle the thing, so I can get the dimensions of the one complete handle/rail for recreating a pair. That's liable to be a bit fraught -- the fasteners are probably all seized.

I'll start with the front cross-brace.


And the axle/wheel assembly.


Once I get the axle/wheel off, I'll go no further until I've done a trial fit of the new wheel.

Here's the front cross-brace off and reasonably well straightened out.


I'll need new carriage bolts. They're 5/16" x 2 1/4".

I got lucky with the axle fasteners -- they weren't seized.


- - -

And here's a view of the new wheel/tire in place.


When I add the setscrews to the collars, I'll be able to lock the wheel in place axially on its axle. That will make for a stable, trouble-free wheel installation.

- - -

Progress -- MONDAY, MAY 4, 2015

Here's the wheelbarrow with new wooden parts, and all new fasteners.


Now it needs to have its handles formed, and everything painted.

- - -

All Done -- MONDAY, JUNE 1, 2015


And there we are -- looking much better than in the first photo.

 # # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment