Saturday, August 24, 2013

A Button Repair


[Things have been a bit slow around here while I try to learn how to cope with my bleeped up health. This item is representative of the level at which I'm able to function lately. At least it's something, which is more than I've done for quite a while, now.]

- - -

This lady's bag has a purely decorative button on it with a fabric-covered, snap-fit cap. The cap came off, and doesn't want to snap back on securely.


I could push the cap back on as best as it will go, then apply CA adhesive around the cap's perimeter. That would work, but the CA adhesive will wick up into the cap's fabric covering and discolour it.

An alternative is to adhere the cap in place with a blob of silicone sealant. I think I'll go with that idea, but before I do, I'd best 'adjust' the button so the cap fits on easily. If I have to struggle with the cap, I'm liable to smear some silicone sealant about and make a mess.

- - -

Here's everything ready.


I installed a paper mask, just in case there's any squeeze-out of silicone sealant. Here goes final assembly.

- - -



That turned out ok. I'll set the bag aside in a safe place for the sealant to cure overnight, and that'll be a done deal.

- - -

How about that? I did a smidgen of useful work today.

For tomorrow, I have a little soldering job lined up. We'll see how I make out with that.

# # #


# # #