Sunday, August 19, 2012

Immobilizing a Lathe Spindle

My lathe has no provision for locking the spindle, and I needed to lock it so I could tap a thread in something chucked in the scroll chuck. I came up with this arrangement.


There was already an unused hole in the side of the switchbox that was the perfect size for tapping a 10-32 thread. A length of 8mm diameter rod and a 5/16" cable clamp now provide an adequate spindle lock for what I need to do.

- - -

An Improvement -- SATURDAY, AUGUST 25, 2012

I've added a second cable clamp near the spindle to minimize lash. Here's a view of that with the chuck dismounted.



Much better.

- - -

Addendum -- SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 24, 2012

I just discovered a little glitch. When I went to mount the lathe's four-jaw chuck, the parked spindle lock rod interfered with the jaw nuts on the back of the chuck. I had to remove the cable clamp nearest the spindle, and back the rod well away.

# # #


# # #