Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Motor Find

Some years ago, I had dropped by the city's household hazardous waste depot on my way home from work to offload some old paint and motor oil. I spotted this motor lying on the pavement just outside the big roll-up door to the place.

No one's name was on it aside from the manufacturer's (Franklin), so I put it on the truck and went home with it.

It's 3/4 hp, 3,450 rpm and it runs perfectly. It's just what I need to power an old table saw I want to restore. The only snag is that it has no mount. It's what's known as a 'C-Face' motor -- its output end is a precision flange with four threaded holes in it for bolting the motor directly onto a gearbox, or whatever machine the motor is to be the input to.

So, I'll have to come up with a mount for it that will let me mount it in conventional fashion behind a saw. That's going to be a bit of a challenge. When that's done, I'll tear the motor down and give it a paint job. This may take a while.

- - -

SUNDAY, MARCH 4, 2012

Mount -- C-Face Upright Beginnings

This motor's frame is a NEMA 56 configuration, so I was able to confirm my layout measurements from NEMA data. The ticklish part of this piece of the mount is cutting a 4 1/2" diameter hole in a board to accept the face of the motor. I have a fly-cutter that can do that. Setting the thing up can be a bit of a chore. Here it is ready to go.

I know of no way to accurately preset a fly-cutter for a given absolute dimension. You have to do it by trial and error on scrap material. Down in front you can see where I was doing just that on a piece of trash material.

I got a shot of the cutter in action, just for the heck of it.

And here's the cutter with its prize at the end of the cut.

Note the c-clamps. You don't even think about using a fly-cutter this size on hand-held material. To be safe and successful, a fly-cutting job must be securely clamped up. Use only the drill press' lowest speed and a sharp cutter. Everything must be tight. Slow, easy even feed gets the job done with no untoward events.

Once I got that piece of work free of the drill press table, I drilled the four bolt holes that I'd already laid out and spotted before starting on the big hole. Here it is trial-fitted to the face of the motor.

It's a start. There's much more to be done, but so far, so good.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment