Monday, January 14, 2019

Working With Small Stuff -- 2-56 Screws


My son found this nifty old Radio Shack handheld CB transceiver.


The only problem with it is that the front cover is loose; the unit must have been dropped once -- its front cover fastenings are broken.


To make a long story short, I drilled and tapped the blind ends of the brass attachment posts so they'd take 2-56 x 5/32" screws, like so.


A couple of No. 44 holes through the front cover followed.


And here we are with a very neat repair to the loose front cover -- a pair of 2-56 hex socket head screws are now holding it in place.


Working with tiny threaded fasteners is beguiling. So far, 2-56 is the smallest size that I'm equipped for dealing with. I've ordered up some small sizes of metric taps and screws that I expect to find use for in model building. We'll see how that goes.

- - -

Update -- THURSDAY, JANUARY 17, 2019

My set of ten tiny threading taps arrived from Amazon. Here they are all queued up.


Following is a list of the sizes:
  • M1.0
  • M1.2
  • M1.4
  • M1.6
  • M1.7
  • M1.8
  • M2.0
  • M2.5
  • M3.0
  • M3.5
Hmmm. I didn't know of the existence of about half of those sizes.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment