Thursday, January 31, 2019

A Sears Craftsman Cordless Rotary Tool From The 1980s


Here's a very nice rotary tool that hasn't aged very well.


It's a Model No. 572.248960 with two speeds -- 15,000 and 20,000 rpm. Nominal battery voltage is 6V. It has the smoothest-running, most perfectly balanced motor I've ever encountered in this class of machine.

But it's old. Its Ni-Cd battery isn't holding a charge all that well, which comes as no surprise. What did surprise me was a failure in its drive-line -- a plastic flexible coupling sleeve embrittled and broke down, rendering the tool completely inoperative. Here's a view of the failure.


The outboard portion of the sleeve had fallen to pieces, which I've removed. The inboard portion of the sleeve is still there on its spline.

I removed the remainder of the flexible coupling sleeve, and went for a rummage through my stash of plastic tubing. That got me some thin-walled stuff with a 1/4" inside diameter that looked like it might serve. I cut a 7/8" length of the tubing and force-fitted it onto the driving and driven splines, like so.


'Buttoned up the casing and the tool appears to be useable now. I'll keep it in its charging stand continuously charging (the user's manual says it's alright to do that), and see if the tool makes itself useful.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment