Saturday, January 5, 2019

A Wahl 'Peanut' Hair Clipper Failure


Someone brought me an inoperative Wahl 'Peanut' hair clipper. Here's a view of it without its cutter head.


And here's the underside.


Three No. 0 Phillips recess screws fasten the unit together. Here it is opened up.


(That photo was taken after I'd done some unsoldering.)

There's not much to the thing -- a DC motor, a bridge rectifier, an inductor[1] and a slide on/off switch that's incorporated into the printed circuit board. Here's the schematic.


The unit had suffered a catastrophic failure of the bridge rectifier and the inductor. The two '+ side' diodes in the rectifier were dead shorts, and the inductor had blown up. Here's what was left of the inductor after unsoldering it from the circuit board.


The motor survived. Here's a brief video of the motor running with a jury-rigged rectifier.


The '32 mA' figure printed on the motor must be a full-load value. Running without the clipper head attached and no loading, the motor draws about 7 mA. Motor speed is about 10,200 rpm. Loading the motor with finger pressure results in a large increase in motor current, and a corresponding reduction in motor speed.

I've ordered replacement 2W10 bridge rectifiers from Amazon. The 2W10 is a little more robust than the original W04M.
- - -

The Rectifiers Arrived -- THURSDAY, JANUARY 10, 2019

The 2W10 is physically identical to the W04M.


Here's the circuit board set up for soldering in the new rectifier and inductor.


And the little machine went back together and is working. I can return the unit to its owner for a proper trial with the cutter head attached.

* * *


Note:

[1] From what's left of the colour code bands, the inductor appears to be 150µH. Fortunately, I have spares on hand that I got from Amazon long ago.
# # #


# # #

17 comments:

  1. Hi Tom,

    Thanks for a great write-up! I've found myself with a similar issue. And I plan to replace the parts as you have.

    In the meantime, I'd like to better understand the circuit. And I am curious if you wouldn't mind speculating as to the purpose of the inductor. Everything else I get.

    Thanks!

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I understand it, inductive reactance is opposition to the flow of AC current. In a motor circuit such as the hair clipper's, AC current flow will be extremely high (inrush current) at the instant of motor start-up -- high enough to be stressful to the bridge rectifier. The inductor is there to limit inrush current, sparing the bridge rectifier from current stress.

      I hope that was helpful.

      I got my electronics education back in the early 1970s, and I've been away from the field for decades, so don't take what I say too seriously.

      Thanks ever so much for writing. 'Made my day.

      Regards,

      Tom

      Delete
  2. I tried replacing the inductor without replacing the rectifier, because the rectifier looked fine, but the new inductors popped as soon as I plugged the clippers into the receptacle. I bought 150uH 1/4w 10% inductors because that’s all I could find. I hope I bought the correct inductors. I will be ordering the rectifier and hoping that does the trick. If you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Thanks for posting this very informative information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a shorted rectifier. Solid state items can fail catastrophically and still appear to be fine.

      Delete
  3. Got a 5 pack of 2W10 rectifiers in the mail today. Soldered it in, along with a new inductor. Went to turn it on, and the inductor popped and smoked...again. Is there any way I could share pictures with you to be sure I have done everything correctly? https://imgur.com/gallery/5SiMhby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Sounds to me that you have a shorted motor -- your unit is a write-off. 'Sorry.

      Delete
  4. It was the motor. I replaced it and it works now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing. Motor failures are rare. Those things are pretty rugged. How did you source a replacement motor?

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this post, mine failed in the same way and I was able to repair it with almost no research effort thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. 'Glad to have been of help.

      Delete
  6. Gracias excelente información me ayudo mucho, lamentablemente es difícil en Venezuela conseguir los repuestos por amazon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I have exact same wahl peanut with failed motor. Anyone can help me find a replacement motor online?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, first of all I'd like to thank you for sharing this information, I am Canadian too. I have a Wahl clipper but different model that appears to use the same inductor and it looks like blown up too. May I ask you what is the wattage for this inductor? I have no electronic background but if I can find out what model or where I can get this exact inductor perhaps I can try solder it back and fix it. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, this is fantastic. I plugged mine into 230v AC mains and had the same experience. If I want to plug it into 230vAC mains, will the 2W10 rectifier be enough? Perhaps I would need additional changes on top?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just fixed mine the same way. I was able to find similar 2W08G rectifiers in stock at Mouser.

    ReplyDelete