Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Crappy Grinding Stones From Amazon


I got this set of twenty grinding stones from a Chinese Amazon vendor recently.


Diameters are approximately 16mm, 20mm, 24mm and 30mm. I thought they'd be just the thing to go with my new 1/4" die grinder for sharpening lawnmower blades. Was I ever wrong.

The shanks were described variously as 1/4" diameter and 6mm diameter. I queried that, and was assured that the shanks were 1/4" diameter. It turns out that they're 6mm diameter. So, right off the bat the things are worthless -- a 1/4" collet will not close down on a 6mm shank.

And to cap it off, the stones are badly mounted and don't run true. Here's a little video clip of one stone turning in a wood lathe at 500 rpm.




Imagine that wobble running at 20,000 rpm.

I complained to the vendor and got my money refunded. So I'm now the owner of a worthless set of grinding stones.

It's appalling some of the stuff that Amazon will sell.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment