Sunday, July 14, 2019

A Stanley No. 1299 Utility Knife


This old cast iron utility knife is quite nice, but its paint job is way past it.


I'll strip off what's left of the paint, and give it new primer and paint. But before I go any further, here's a YouTube video of an American gentleman's restoration of a similar knife. The man's work is awesome -- way beyond anything I'd even attempt.

- - -

Inside The Handle -- MONDAY, JULY 15, 2019

A single 10-24 x 3/4" plain slot flat head screw holds the two halves of the handle together.


There's space for spare blade storage.

For my money, this utility knife type has been pretty well obsoleted by the Olfa 18mm snap-off blade style of knife, but the old style of knives and blades are still available. I imagine that an attractive feature of the old knives is precisely that the blades can't snap off on you.

- - -

Paint Stripped Off And Primer Applied


There's a coat of grey primer. Still to come are two coats of red enamel.

- - -

Red Enamel Done

And here's two coats of Canadian Tire's Armor Coat fire red rust paint.


I'll leave that to sit and harden for a week, then put it back together with a new blade. I'll have a nicely refurbished knife that I'll probably never use.

- - -

Done -- SATURDAY, JULY 20, 2019


It has a new blade in it. It can go back to hanging on its nail on a tool board.


We'll see if I find use for it now that it's all prettied up.

# # #


# # #

5 comments:

  1. Any Idea about the manufacture date? I have one I got from my dad after he used it many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Sorry, no. I don't know the date of manufacture.

      Delete
  2. I have one exactly like it could someone message me some info on it

    ReplyDelete