Wednesday, July 24, 2019

A Shakespeare Autowinder II Bump Head Installation


I have an elderly Homelite TrimLite string trimmer that's in need of some new bump head parts. Trying to obtain those parts has proven to be an exercise in futility, so I went to Canadian Tire and got myself a new after-market complete bump head, a Shakespeare Autowinder II.


It's supposedly a universal fit item that will work on the Homelite. I have my doubts. We'll see.

I'm going to try to open the package ever so carefully, so if the thing doesn't work out I can reseal it and maybe return it.

- - -

The Trimmer's Original Head


The trouble with the original head is that the bumper is almost worn out, and it's missing its spring. I found a spring that fits, but it's not forceful enough. A proper replacement spring seems to be unavailable. The bumper can be had (the small engines place has a couple in stock), but the price is nearly that of the Shakespeare replacement head.

It looks to me that the distance from the trimmer line to the guard is a fairly critical dimension. It currently measures 2 3/16". We'll see if that dimension more-or-less holds for the Shakespeare replacement.

- - -

The Kit Unpacked


There's the hub, a plastic spacer washer and a bag with many hexagonal adapters and screws and a steel flat washer. Not shown is an instruction sheet in three languages.

The unit comes without trimmer line installed! I call that cheap and sleazy. (According to the instruction sheet, 0.080", 0.095" or 0.105" line can be used.)

- - -

Nope

I looked into the installation instructions and all the adapters, and I'm calling hogwash. I have no faith whatsoever that this thing can be satisfactorily installed on my Homelite trimmer, and yield satisfactory performance. I'll repackage it as best I can and try to return it.

- - -

Returned -- THURSDAY, JULY 25, 2019

My repackaging worked out ok, and Canadian Tire took it back with no hassle. I'll look into obtaining a spring from an American on-line parts dealer.

- - -

Can't Win For Losing

Shipping from the States would be $22.99 US -- not on.

- - -

To be continued.

# # #


# # #

7 comments:

  1. Tom,

    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/spring-p-217912.html?osCsid=ltrar489jnl6r4rfu3bnke4su4

    Maybe this will help find another option. These are a common spring used in a lot of trimmers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the correct spring, alright, but the outrageous shipping charge would still apply. I can't get my head around spending $22.99 US to get a four dollar spring.

      Thanks for writing, though. 'Much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Try eBay Canada. It was listed on eBay USA, so there's a chance that it will be on your side too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such luck. The spring doesn't show up on eBay Canada.

      Delete
    2. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/06713-Homelite-Ryobi-Trimmer-Replacement-Spring/172032675499?hash=item280df24eab:g:34UAAOSwJcZWcv3a&redirect=mobile

      With free shipping

      Delete
    3. I don't see 'free shipping'. I see $18.10 CDN. That's still a lot to ship one little spring. I'll try my local small engines place again, now that I have a part number.

      Delete
  3. Must be showing differently to me. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete