Tuesday, June 25, 2019

A CargoLoc 60" Rooftop Crossbars Installation On A 2009 Hyundai Tucson


I got the crossbars kit some time ago from Princess Auto for a good price.


This may not be the greatest idea I've ever had -- the Tucson's roof rails are pretty short from front to rear; the crossbars won't have much distance between them. Anyway, on with the installation and we'll see how this turns out.

The instruction sheet that comes with the crossbars is clear and concise; installation is easy. The crossbars' clamps fit the profile of the existing roof rails nicely. Here's a view of one clamp with the long 5mm hex key in place for tightening it.


There's a keylock feature. The lock closes off the hole for the hex key's entry, so the clamps can't be loosened off.

And here's the finished installation.


There's only 24" between the crossbars. The instruction sheet calls for a minimum of 27". (Why 27" is the 'magic number' is not explained.)

In any event, it looks like a marginal rig to me. I have a kayak and a canoe to transport quite a distance. I suspect that that's going to be a delicate, dicey bit of business. We'll see.

- - -

No. Not On -- THURSDAY, JUNE 27, 2019

The more I contemplated perching a kayak or a canoe on top of those closely spaced crossbars, the less the prospect appealed to me. I took the kit back to Princess Auto, and they graciously refunded my money.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment