Friday, March 15, 2019

An Oscilloscope 'Foot' Repair


I broke off a corner of one of the feet of my oscilloscope.


It's a trivial fault, but I hate to see things degenerate to rack and ruin, so I'll try to restore the broken off corner of the foot. Here's a view of the foot removed from the 'scope along with its broken off corner.


'First thing I'll do is file a couple of flats to aid in spotting and drilling holes for a couple of 1/16" diameter reinforcement pins.


Then spot and drill the holes through the main body of the foot.


Then glue the two pieces together with CA adhesive.


I'll leave that for the adhesive to cure overnight. Tomorrow, I'll try drilling clear through and installing reinforcement pins (a couple of shanks of broken 1/16" diameter twist drills).

- - -

Holes Drilled Clear Through

Here's the foot with a trial insertion of the two pins.


Now I'll install the pins permanently with CA adhesive. Then I can trim the pin ends flush with a Dremel cut-off wheel, and I should have a complete, serviceable 'scope foot again.

- - -

And here we are.


My 'scope can have back a complete foot.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment